Originally Posted by Hannay
Impressive indeed. Ron, thanks for posting - just to be clear,do I understand correctly - in these still shots from the videos, Mr. Bagwell is using: "... the 480-ish-grain, semi-hard, Lyman PH (Parker Hale) bullet at about 1300 fps (with BP)"? I think that should be doable in a trapdoor Springfield...

Hannay,
That is correct, 17,000 CUP limit on a .45-70 Govt.Trapdoor in good condition. Smokeless for sure. BP I will defer to THE MASTERS Sir Jerry and Sir Bill Bagwell.
Looking in the old Lyman CAST BULLET HANDBOOK THIRD EDITION, I see they have screwed up quoting different weights for the #457406.
They called it 451-gr in the .45-70 section and 482-gr in the .458 WM section, both done in Lyman #2 Alloy.
I cannot find the mould in same book 4th Ed. nor more recent editions of the Lyman general handloading manual.
You are going to need to cast some and see what you have.

The running Kudu was dumped by Trapdoor ballistics. The zebra bang-flop was done with same .45-70 load.
If the load data shown above says GOEX Pinnacle 3F 67.5 grains, it was the .45-70 Shiloh Sharps being used.
His other rifle uses 106 gr of GOEX 2F in the .45-110 Shiloh Sharps.

Get to work with your mould !
The hard Flat Nose has something to do with the effectiveness. You might figure out a nose flattener if your mould is Round-Nosed.
Those ballistics are like super-magnum handgun ballistics, which other professional small boys use on all sorts of game.
Of course they usually have to get closer than Bill has to get to place his shot.
But he can shoot kudu on the run at 75 yards just fine with those ballistics.
Piled up with a single shot, IIRC.

Last edited by Riflecrank; 02/10/21.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.