Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Sir Spruce,

Take note of a reduced load using Unique with 500-grainer, should do well with your 485-grainer.
Here is a snapshot of a fortune cookie 45lc youtube video
with my comments "Painted" upon it, taken from the words of FC45LC:

[Linked Image]

That pointy bullet is an N.O.E. slick/HTC 500-grainer that has been PC-painted.

In another video, FC45LC fired a grease-grooved cast 500-ish-grain bullet in a SAAMI .458 WM.
5 shots were grease-lubed naked lead and sized to 0.458" and key-holed into a turkey-choke shotgun pattern at 50 yards.
5 shots were PC-painted plus grease-lubed and sized to same 0.458" yet formed a 5-shot group slightly bigger than one inch at 50 yards.
Powder charge was same, about 50 grains of AA-2200, no filler, IIRC, and chrono velocities circa 1700 fps for both groups.
Short-COL seating was same for both.

I bet if fortune cookie 45LC had sized all the bullets to 0.461", both batches would have done better.

Most Excellent !
Ya, 16 gr of Unique is Definately doable.
That Accurate mold I'm planning on doesn't have a very wide meplat . That shouldn't be a problem as the cast bullets won't be my primary hunting or game bullet. However with enough practice I should be able to fill the freezer .
Learning the trajectory of both a bp equivalent velocity and a high velocity loads . Should be enough for my memory banks. Would be fun doin it semi Old School.

Last edited by CTF; 02/16/21.