Originally Posted by bcelliott
It is too bad that the Norma brass (I just bought some) is sticky and will waste the added volume since one can't drive it as hard. I've had some sticky Norma brass in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62, but I was hoping this would be different. Now if we could have the best of both worlds--capacity and strength...Lapua??? For now, I guess I will go back to my Hornady brass.

Interestingly Bob Hagel complained about Weatherby brass as being too soft (made by Norma) compared to American brass for the .300 Weatherby. The same thing appears to be true for the .340 Weatherby as he was unable to come close to my results (and Hagel certainly didn't under-load anything!) in using Remington fire formed .375 H&H once-fired. A fellow at the range asked if I could use his fired .375 H&H Remington brass from his practising for an African safari. I accepted all six boxes for my .340 and never needed to purchase cases thereafter. They were fire-formed in the chamber of my .340 using 35 grains of SR 4759 under the 200gr Nosler BT at around 2200 fps. That would have been a good deer load shooting about MOA, though I never shot deer with it.

They were used for my moose hunt in N.Ontario firing the 250gr NP at 3000 fps (avg over 10 years of 2997 fps). Some were used for ten firings or until cracks appeared in the neck from hardening.

I had one "Weatherby" factory cartridge in .340, donated by our second son who had received it as a gift from a friend who thought the .340 was the "best of the best". It was, of course, a Norma loading. I fired it over a CHRONO at the range and the 250gr Hornady bullet did make the then Weatherby claim of 2850 fps. I weighed the empty brass case and it was somewhat lighter than the Remington brass for the .375 H&H I was using. The brass was thinner, no doubt, and would have held slightly more powder. I never reloaded it.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 06/08/21.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus