Also of possible interest: I recently was able to purchase a box of Hornady 250gr Monoflex in .458 cal. They are made specifically for the 1895 Marlins in .450 and .45-70. Hornady recommends MVs between 1400 to 2500 fps. But those are MVs expected from the Marlin rifles. Anyway, I've loaded a bunch for my #1 Ruger in .458 WM to simulate (if possible) a Marlin in .45-70. I'd hoped to range test them today but we're getting heavy rain, and the "weather man" is now saying it will be a wet week! I am still hoping to get some fired this week for a report on my blog by Saturday.

According to Hornady, on the box I read: "Monolithic copper alloy won't separate, and retains 95% weight", and "Patented Flex Tip design is safe to use in tubular magazines", plus: "Ultra tough medium and big game bullet choice".

Sounds good, eh? That, we will discover! If that plan works well enough, then deer hunting starts on Nov. 1st. for rifle hunters. Looks like a possible wolf load too!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 10/25/21.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus