Request input from the Knights of the Square Table. I am in a quandary as I have now gone from a dearth of proper 0.458” elephant rifles for the Zim July hunt to 3. A matter of unanticipated gremlins and favorable but unplanned timing.

I have the Ruger Hawkeye African 458 WM which I’ve described here and which must make the trip because I will take 458 WM ammo for my PH to use in his Win M-70 Classic and so a rifle in that caliber must accompany the ammo. But now the 460 G&A I had built on a Win M-70 Classic action arrives tomorrow. And the Ruger RSM 450 Rigby Rimless Magnum which I had planned to take as my primary rifle, but developed feeding problems, has been repaired very rapidly by NECG’s Mark Cromwell and it arrives next week.

So here’s the problem I’m asking input from my brother Knights - which rifle rides in the case with the Hawkeye 458 WM? I have shot the RSM quite a bit and have a proven load with the 500 grain CEB BBW #13 at 2350 fps. I like this rifle. Because the RSM seemed out of action and it was not clear it would be ready in time, I had the 460 G&A built. Now both are ready and both will deliver a true 2350 fps MV with 500 grain monolithic solids.

I’m an inveterate wildcatter so the 460 G&A for an elephant hunt is very alluring. However, the RSM has a slimmed down stock that fits me quite well.

So THE QUESTION for the Square Table - which rifle would be your choice? The 450 Rigby RSM or the Win M-70 460 G&A?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now