Sir Ron - thanks for the info, collecting quite a bit of data from reading all the past posts. So much info here!!

A little Rifle Loony background - As Mule Deer is one of my favorite gun writers, a lesson learned from him started my quest for a 458 here on the 'Fire about 3 years ago while scanning the Classifieds. I found a chap selling 458WM brass and dies for a good deal, so it started there. So with brass & dies in hand, I start the search for the suitable launch platform. I briefly thought of sending a Mauser 1909 Arg action I have off to be worked on, but when I started calculating the costs, it got outta hand FAST! I'm sure it would have turned out beautiful, but with 2 kids in college, I came to my senses. I started to scan GB every few days for about a year, finding all sorts of interesting ideas. After seeing a few Ruger M77s, my focus shifted there, as the styling just suits me. I found a few, but just couldn't "pull the trigger" as it were. Time went on, then just a couple of weeks ago, low and behold, a fellow member here on the 'Fire had the Ruger above for a great deal, so she now has a new home.

I'll probably never make it to Africa, so the Southern whitetail will be my first quarry. My first "trophy" buck was taken with a Marlin 47/70 using a Hornady 325gr FTX at about 2000fps years ago, so I'll probably focus on the lighter side of 458 to start. I do have some 500gr RN cast bullets saved from my No.1 45/70 loads that should do nicely if I want to shoot through a pine tree or two :-).

If allowed, my "Nom de Knight" name can be Thomas.