Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
Was at my daughters apartment yesterday and it was dang cold outside so I thought
why not make some bone warming soup, and I did, Ron T's Hearty Bean Soup !

RON�S HEARTY BEAN SOUP

2 lbs. Great Northern beans ("dry", NOT pre-soaked, rinsed well, foreign objects removed)
2 Large onions, chopped medium
1 Large head of garlic, minced
1 Tbs ea. Olive oil and butter
2 Ribs of celery (no leaves), chopped medium fine
� lb. Slice of lean smoked ham steak, rind removed & ham cubed (1/2 inch) 1 Large ham hock thoroughly wrapped & tied-off in cheese cloth
1-2 Tbs. Frank�s (formally Durkee�s) Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce (to taste)
1 8 oz. can of Hunt�s Tomato Sauce
1 Large or 2 medium carrots, sliced, then diced medium (� to � inch)
4 Tbs. Bac-O�s Chips
1-2 Tbs. Hickory-flavored liquid smoke (to taste-Wright's Hickory-flavored is good)
1 Tbs. Lawry�s Season Salt

1) Add butter & olive oil to pot, saut� onions & garlic until softened.

2) Carefully cut rind off of the smoked ham slice in as few pieces as possible.

3) Place all ingredients (including the ham rind) in a large pot and cover.

4) Add enough water to cover ingredients plus an additional three (3) inches of water.

5) Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and allow to �heavy simmer� (somewhat more than a simmer, bubbles constantly rising) for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.

6) Check the beans for �doneness� (beans should be cooked all the way through, but still very firm). If not done, heavy simmer an additional half hour or so. Check beans again.

7) Adjust seasoning (add more Season Salt if needed). Remove ham rind from pot before serving. Serve with freshly-chopped onion.

--------------------

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, amazing as always, and a tribute to Ron T, an incredible gentleman, and excellent chef.

[Linked Image]

Another snow day for the kids here today. Got a big pot of Ron T's and Miss Lynn's soup on the stove. Tastes delicious and I'm sure it will fit the bill with some homemade garlic bread at dinner time.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin