Roger above poster.

The .243 will take up to 100 gr bullets. Pretty much all I shoot with this caliber. These will kill moose quite effectively. Done it.

The .25-06 will take up to 120 gr bullets. I killed over 2 doz caribou with this round. Bang/flop. Every time. Stupidly I sold the gun when I moved into moose country, thinking I needed more.. Dumb, dumb, dumb. To the '06 and .338 work too, I'm now looking to pot a moose with the .260 - just cuz I ain't done it yet... smile

I still own the .243.

The .243 will give you rather ho-hum kills with virtually no recoil, while the .25 will give you a bit more recoil and pretty spectacular kills. They all die, if hit properly...bang flop or run a bit. I killed my first two Dall rams with the .243. 20 yards and 50... smile

The .25 is more appropriate to 300 plus yard shots. Most of my caribou kils were 300 to 500 plus.

I'm currently loving my .260 - sort of in-between - it likes 140 gr. bullets - and very accurate. It's zeroed at 300 yards - the last group I shot at that range went 2.25 inches... smile

I have a better range-finder coming...

In my opinion, knowing the range, and ballistics of your rifle/load is more important than caliber...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.