brinky,

Most of the rifles I buy have been pre-enjoyed. I particularly enjoy it if I know some of the rifles history or the person/smith that built it. As with many rifles I buy there is a back story.
I know they are in-animate objects, but I swear I can hear some of them calling my name. Such was the case with the Barnett Whelen. I had recently purchased a Ruger Hawkeye in 358 Win., and a Remington 700 CDL Classic in 35 Whelen, but the Remington had a 1 in 16 twist IIRC. I was not overly impressed with the 358 Win., but that's another story. Consequently I did not need another 35 Cal. Rifle. But as I always say, I�m just one rifle away from being satisfied.
I had stopped by the Pasadena gun show. I�ve been in the area now since 1976. I�ve got to know a few folks, and was killing some time. Thought I�d go in and talk to a couple of the exhibitors. Really did not expect to see anything I could not live without.

The gentleman who built this rifle has left the field. His name was Wayne Barnett. He billed himself as a master gunsmith. From what I understand he worked at Glen Slade�s Gun Clinic in the sixties. I can remember as a boy going down the Gulf Freeway in Houston and see the giant polar bear atop the building with the sign "Glenn Slade's in humongous letters. It was pretty impressive to a 10 year old. Later on (1970�s) Wayne had a shop in Pasadena, Texas on Harris at Witter St. about two blocks from my fab shop. That is when I think he built this rifle. It has a 12 twist barrel. Due to the magazine length I typically load the 225 gr. Sierra Spitzers which will group about an inch or better at 100 yds.

Anyway, I happened onto the Whelen without a dollar in my pocket, as I hadn�t planned on buying anything. I got a couple exhibitors that I knew to vouch for me and was able to talk the dealer at the gunshow into holding onto it until I could get back with the cash by telling him I�d pay his asking price. I had to have that rifle. Rifles come and go, but my kids will probably have to sell this one if they don't want it.

Best
GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.