I have wanted a .25-06 for almost 50 years and have yet to own one and I am a guy with 35 rifles, at present, after selling 8-10 in the past year and a half. I have owned scores of bolt action hunting rifles, but, just never seem to find a .25-06 that I really like.....well, something to keep my interest high.....

I had a minty Henri Dumoulin .243 and an as NIB P-64 Fwt. in .243, just never warmed to that round and they went away. I seem to feel most comfortable with larger bores and last autumn, finally got a .220Swift for when I can hunt predators, so, see little point in another .243.

While I agree that the actual "caliber" of one's hunting rifle(s) is much less important than bullet choice, shooting ability and shot placement on game, I also think that there tends to be a bit of "overstatement" of the capabilities of rather small bullets on large animals. It is probably just my innate conservatism, but, in general BC rifle uses, all factors considered, I feel much more comfortable with a larger round and often with a .338WM while working or hunting, especially solo, in our typical terrain and circumstances.

So, for ME, and others who differ are just as correct, for THEM, I would choose a .35-06 over a .243, always.