Wow, give my thanks to your daughter-in-law and son, and good on you for "riding herd."

That was my first pronghorn. Got him on public land in Colorado. Yesterday was opening day and it was kind of a circus out there. Saw a guy take a 300-400 yard shot off-hand (I couldn't tell the range and he didn't know either) in a 20 MPH wind and he didn't look surprised when he missed. I finally spotted a herd that no one else was onto, at about 1200 yards. There was a hill between me and them so I got behind it and cut the distance in half, belly-crawled the last 50 yards.

I remembered the knee-pads (smart move) but forgot the leather gloves (dumb move); there was cactus everywhere. The buck was grazing at 700 yards and I needed him closer. The wind had throttled back but was still about 10 mph and half value. I ranged a little ridge between he and I at 500 and waited for him to graze closer, which he was doing. He got there, and I put my head down and got ready to take the shot. Meanwhile, he just kept coming, right at me. I'm pretty sure he saw movement and got curious. I ended up shooting him at 60 yards, with the 14-power scope still cranked up all the way.

Back on topic, I was shooting the .25-06's big brother, a 6.5-06 AI built on an M70 with a McMillan stock. Very accurate with 140 vlds at 3,050. The shot I had was the neck, and the Berger pretty much made burger out of it.

Not the biggest buck out there, but it was the biggest to walk in to 60 yards on me, so I took what I was presented.

A wise man is frequently humbled.