Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by SuperCub

A friend lives up at Center Tx and shoots them as well. He wants me to come down hunting and I think piggies were on the list with deer. I think I will take him up on that invite. He mentions eating the smaller ones and are generally good eating. I'm thinkin he covers them with Tony Chachere's magic powder. Old boy got me hooked on that stuff. Every time I cross the line, I bring some home.

What's this "six day wet age" you speak of? I cut meat for over 20yrs and am not familiar with that term.

One of the first deer I shot was on December 19th. I remember it because it was two days before my birthday, and it was 91 degrees F. Two weeks ago when I was at my lease, it was 102 in the shade and 113 in the direct sunlight according to my digital thermometer. At those temps, it don't take long for meat to "go green" or spoil if you would. I go in heavy to where I hunt. I always pack two 200 quart ice chests with 140 lbs. of ice in each specifically for meat. I keep an extra chest for temporary holding of ice. When I kill an animal, I to have it skinned and on ice within an hour or so from the time it is killed. Sometimes it my be two hours, but not much longer. I'll prepare a bed of ice, say 4 to six inches. Depending on the size of the critter I either put in the chest whole, quarter it, or bone it out. In any case it goes directly on ice. I will keep it on ice with chest tilted so as the ice melts the meat will bleed out and drain. I continually add ice for six days or so to "wet age". Sometimes in the winter it is cold enough to let meat hang for a while. Most times not. It is a way I can let my meat "age" before wrapping it in freezer paper and putting up in the freezer.

Now when you are talking Tony's, you are preaching to the choir.

Ya' can't go wrong with
Tony's, garlic powder, black pepper, cilantro and peppers."

Here's a pix of stuff I use in the preparation of pork "carnitas". I'll take and cut up pork and put in the crock pot, season and cook for about 8 hours. Wrap it in corn tortillas or put it on an onion roll. Good enough to make you want to slap yo' daddy down.

[Linked Image]

make a bed of onions

[Linked Image]

add the pork,

[Linked Image]

cilantro, peppers and seasonings

[Linked Image]

and slow cook for 8 to 10 hours.

We put Tonys' on or in just about everything.
Hell, if you want PM me an address and I'll send ya some.

Best

GWB

This looks good

Tater