Originally Posted by dubePA
If it shoots, nothing much wrong with spending little money on great results? Did that almost 30 years ago with an FN "M98" action, an inexpensive barrel, a Timney trigger and other mods.

It ain't purty, but for how it works on the bidness end and that was all that mattered to me. The rifle still puts 5 well inside of an inch @ 100 yards and has thumped deer well beyond 400 yards.

Unfortunately, cheap doesn't always produce the desired results and I don't often recommend that approach.

Very true and I will tell you I did not expect what I got from this rifle. I was looking for a bad weather rifle and would have been happy with an inch and a half gun. Just wanted consistent and predictable unlike the 8mm mauser it started out as. The bolt had already been turned down nicely and it had the Timney trigger. Had $150 in that I believe. Bought it some time ago for my Dad. He likes those old chopped up mil surps. Dad wanted a .308 and I wanted a bad weather gun so this is it. He quit hunting so I just kept it. Figured if he ever decided to stand post again it is here for him. Will put 5, 140 grain Barnes original X bullets or Nosler 150 grain BT's under and inch. More than good enough for the cross the valley hunting here. To date have shot one doe at 250 yards with the Barnes bullet. DRT what more can you ask for?