Originally Posted by elkhunternm
GeeDubya gots a question for you,how big was that bear you killed ie weight and what did it square out?

ehnm,

I don't rightly know to tell you the truth. I don't think he was all that big. We were about a mile from the road as the crow flies and prolly near 1.5 miles when you figure in the three hollers we had to go up and down. The guides skinned him out. They estimated he weighed 200 lbs +/-. It was late August/early September. He couldn't eat that much as he had no bottom canines. They indicated that normally by late fall he'd probably be around 300 lbs. They didn't measure him and I didn't either. Don't remember what the fellow I took the hide to said at the time. My daughter wanted the rug for her fireplace. Anyhow, I called him tonight and he said he thought it measured 5'3 from the tip of his nose to the base of his tail, and had a girth of something like 4-1/2 feet. Don't know what that would square. I do know that I had a ball on this hunt. My two guides were employed by the State of New Mexico as trappers. I spent three days with them and their hounds talking about hunting, trapping, reloading, music, getting drunk, chasin wimmen, and the kinda [bleep] young guys do and old farts reminisce and lie about (the older I get, the better I wuz). Watching the dogs work, hearing them bay, listening to the guides talk about what each dog was doing was neat. It had been 40 years since I'd hunted with hounds. Brought back a lot of memories of coon and fox hunting in the Louisiana swamps with one of my dad's buds from WWII and his son. Killing the bear was kinda anti-climatic. I'm going again this September. My son, his two brother-in-laws and a friend from the last hunt will be going also. The outfitter liked my cooking so much he invited me back anytime. I called him and told him I probably wouldn't hunt, just be camp biitch and make sure every body had 3 squares each day. He said come on down.

Best

GWB
But, I don't mind killin'.

Last edited by geedubya; 05/13/13.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.