Well, I'm more of an expert on things not to do rather than things you should do.

Was out in the woods back in the winter of '62-'63 with my trusty Benjamin. Some buddies were along and it was slim pickin's that day, perhaps because it was about -5*. We finally found some bottles to shoot and I was thankful 'cause my loafers just weren't cutting it for protecting my feet from frostbite. I had set a bottle or can out by itself to shoot and this other jerk-off went to shoot it and we had some verbal fisticuffs about who was gonna shoot what.

Y'all have probably had those days when you can't feel your toes, or even your feet, right? It was one of those days, so I paid no mind when I put the muzzle of Benny on my foot (right) whilst the debate continued. When I went to pick it up off my foot it discharged and I had done shot my right big toe, center of mass on the nail.

Can't feel your toes, hey? Horsefeathers, you can sure and heck feel your toes, I don't care how cold they are.

There was a perfect .22 caliber impression on the top of the loafer, almost as if a paper punch had tried to cut thru it.

I rolled around on the ground screamin' like a little girl for a spell, then finally took my loafer and sock off. I beheld the perfect purple toe nail, but no flowing blood and no ragged hole thru the toe. It felt like there shoulda been.

So, don't believe you can't feel your toes when they are cold. That's BS.

Don't rest your gun muzzle on your foot. Shocking, but I see grownups do that today at the skeet line all the time. Their shoes won't stop a 1-1/8 oz load of shot, I'm pretty sure.

Don't believe the sky will turn blue when you start cussin' on a cold winter day, it won't.

Don't believe your "buddies" will show remorse or try to help. In fact, they will laugh their butts off.

Don't try this with a .243 or .25-06.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain