Originally Posted by Jeff_O
From POTUS on down, everyone involved was lying their fool asses off at every turn. If there's an innocent explanation for that, too, I want to hear it.

Is there an innocent explanation? I think this all started with the lie about Trump not pursing or having business interests in Russia during the campaign, from there the lying snowballed on many levels to protect that claim. This would explain Trump seeing Russia as a friend, defending Russia, and the flattering things he said about Putin, this was done simply to further his business interests if he didn't win. The Russians also played the Trump campaign to further their own self interests and the campaign did not handle it well. Building a tower in Moscow is something Trump has chased unsuccessfully for many years. In my opinion, things would have turned out much differently if Trump had simply said that there were some on going talks about building a Trump Tower in Moscow during the campaign, and then said "so what? That's my right." Once people start lying it's hard to stop, not exactly an innocent explanation but one that doesn't involve a criminal conspiracy against the United States.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.