Yup...very common in SC as well.

I've also found some very creative salad dressings in stores like Whole foods that are great in different makeups of coleslaw. Tried one today that included a lemon, shallot, and cilantro, vinaigrette base. Added a little brown sugar and sweet onion. Good stuff!!

Off the shelf, the wine based strawberry vinaigrette from Briannas makes a great quick slaw.

My fav is my Mother's Texas hot pepper slaw, which is essentially sweet, sour and hot but no mayo. Great on BBQ sammiches!!

My base slaw is cabbage of course--both red and green, carrots, and I also add in lots of cilantro, spring onions (use kitchen shears) and a lime or 2. Jumped on the soft taco kick early summer and found this makeup was great on fish tacos. So now I use it on everything.

Cubed Pork!
Flank Steak!
Fresh grilled fish---especially mahi-mahi!
Baked chicken breast with a light Dukes mayo glaze!
Even grilled vege's!

All make great soft tacos with cole slaw and a giant tortilla.

Left overs are even better. Last week I baked 6 chicken breasts on Sunday and had tacos topped with a vinegar based cole slaw darn near every night. Talk about easy and filling! AND minimal bad stuff for you.

BTW Whole Foods also has a sun dried tomato based salad dressing that makes an amazing seafood cocktail sauce. Just substitute the WF dressing for ketchup. These are in the produce section and chilled. Well worth a try!

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks for starting Lynn!!

Happy cooking!!

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!