Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Same here Jim. I made my first batch of Gumbo about five years ago and I've been trying my hand at Cajun dishes every since.
Gumbo's one of my all time favorite meals to date. Every batch seems better than the last.

Any essential spices/ingredients and brands thereof to recommend for a beginner to get started ?

Sounds like a lot of fun, FG.

Thanks, Denny.

Denny.....This is the recipe I gave Jim and a good place to start.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-and-sausage-gumbo-0

I do a couple of things differently though...first I like chicken thighs better than breasts so that's what I use. I cook em ahead of time in the toaster oven and then chunk em up and throw em in when it's almost done....dump all the fat and juices from the pan in the Gumbo too. I also like more veggies so I double up on the celery and bell pepper.....what the hell are you supposed to do with the other half of that bell pepper anyway ha......I also throw in a 12oz bag of frozen chopped Okra about half way and forget about the Filet powder.

Oh yea use chicken stock instead of water......start with a quart-quart and a half...you can always add more.

Tagging this. Damn that sounds good!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...