I was speaking to an young guy in a town in Saskatchewan one late August day, over a meal, sharing a table...

I asked him about the wheat harvest... the small town was settled by Ukrainian immigrants, and it is still spoken by many in the town... the entire town is a farming co-op. corporation...

each fall the male members of the town, have to pull shifts driving the combines even if they have other jobs in town... he was telling me that the growing season ends abruptly and cold weather comes in quick.... so the harvesting has to be done quick and the combines run 24 hours a day...

he indicates a shift, is you run the combine for an hour in one direction and then turn it around and run it back in the other direction for a hour... 2 return trips make up a four hour shift...but depending, you usually pull two shifts a day, and sometimes 3...

when I asked him about the creature comforts in them, he told me, oh we have A/C, a frig and even a TV inside them...

so being an out of towner, I ask him naively....'you actually watch TV while you drive the combine??"

"sure, it keeps us from being too bored, eh?"

"Well isn't that relatively unsafe to drive the combine and watching TV at the same time?"

He gives me this dumb look, after evaluating my question..
" sure its safe, what are we going to hit??"

those co-ops up on the Canadian prairies make operations on the US side of the border look like small timers...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez