Originally Posted by jimy
Just a quick question, why do you guys choose the materials you do for the knives you buy.

The blades made of D=2 for instance, the chromium makes them tough and wears great but is brittle as hell.

I would rather sharpen the blade on a more forgiving knife.

But since its the end of hunting season and works slow I thought I might build a couple knives for myself.

I'm open for suggestions.

Jimbo,

I got a D2 Enzo with a Scandi grind that gets wicked sharp but is very brittle due to the Scandi (and probably HT). That's one reason I like my Bark Rivers--Mike Stewart has got A2 down pat and combined with the full height convex grind makes for a pretty tough blade and edge.

Also got a Enzo in O1 that is noticeably tougher than the D2 (as far as chippiness).

Having said that, I just ordered a Dozier. He has made his rep with D2 and I'm sure with his HT and the hollow grind, it will be plenty tough (it better be, for the price!). Also, the high Cr content makes D2 damn near stainless so with a good HT and edge design, I think you'd be good to go.

I'm not an abuser of my knives so most steels work well for me. I will say my CPM 3V is too much of a pain for me to sharpen compared to the others.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...