Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
She got herself a nice mutton snapper there and a bone. Standing by for man jokes.

You boys what never had a 8-10 bone hooked up on an 8 wt rig never ever saw a drag get smoked like they do. Them frickin' things are rocket boosted. grin

Hooked up about a 25 lb King Mackerel one day on a 7 ft. freshwater rig we used for bait with an old school Mitchell 300 on it...blue smoke literally came out of that reel!

Kings be some sport, let there be no doubt! Fish that size on a 300 Mitchell...giggle...BTDT.

I've spent a lot of time in the salty part of the world and caught more than my share, not that I'm complainin', but there are three, maybe four, depending on perspective, among all that will make your tackle seem feeble after the strike.

Big tuna and wahoo, nothing beats them for MPH or requires more of a drag.

Marlin will sure as chitt make your heavy tackle shrink when they come up behind a bait looking like a sub.

Bonefish on light spin or fly, holy moly....you'll mumble to yourself.

Another humbling experience is an early season female tarpon on light casting gear of fly in the flats. 175-200# of minnow jumping in 4' of water is a tackle shrinker. If they look like they're going to jump into the boat, and on occasion they do, it'll make your scrotum shrink up about the size of a mustard seed.

I've read a lot of "experts" say that one fish can do 35 and another maybe 40 but they seldom claim higher speeds. They are fulla chitt. Some of those beasts are fully capable of speeds near 60 mph. I know this because I've had them mark time with me in a boat that would do that, and I've also had them jump parallel beside me while going that fast. Tuna, Wahoo, and to a lesser degree,blue marlin make their living running fish down. They don't survive by being slower than the prey.

Likewise, dolphin or porpoise if you prefer. Had a pod of them run me down on angle and start doing crossovers under my bow one day with the Loran and speedo showing just over 60. They were horsing around...playing...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain