The most obvious questions to me: If the intent of fracking is to fracture rock layers to release gas, where do the fractures stop? Is the seal assured on the outside of the casing, and with what level of confidence?

Confining layers in Florida, where they exist, generally consist of clay or clay like soil layers. To some degree they can be violated and due to plastic characteristics remediate in time. This assumes a lack of high pressure force acting on that violation. Limerock is not a confining material. Quite the opposite. Transmissivity through karst and fracture set can be astonishingly swift. Granite and other igneous strata may act as a confinging layer IF there are no fractures in the strata and well casing can be sealed externally commensurate with external force loads. The odds of such structures having no fractures are slim. The costs associated with analyzing such things are breathtaking.

Pointer, we gots lots of features like that down here. Some of them have houses at the pit bottom. laugh. Local river here called the Withlacoochee gets over 70% of its average 1540 cfs flow volume from springs and base flow.

The choices are fairly direct. Is pursuit of one resource at the expense of another economically prudent? To what degree? Most if us tend to take water for granted in the US. We water our lawns with treated water and by golly, we crap in it too. The era of cheap water is behind us, pure and simple. Returning polluted or alternative water to potable standards runs in the range of $7-8/1000 gallons. Protecting it costs pennies. Few years back the mantra in Tallahassee was "Desal". Then they found out much that costs for large scale supply. Oops. Political hot potato that.

What the hacks in TLH don't want to talk about is the $600+ billion water dependent activities contribute to the state's economy annually. There is no close second place. Like I said it's all about choices.... And legacies.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain