Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Over the counter tags are reason enough to move (for this guy). In AZ at least archery was OTC, rest was draw. There is a lot to be said for being able to go smoke a doe or dink as you see fit, not as the gods of odds drawing see fit.

Not to bag on NM at all, what I've seen was absolutely beautiful country. But damn, a draw every year? Has it always been that way dude?

Elk has pretty much always been a draw, deer has been a draw for quit a while now. We eventually are moving but it's not in the cards right now.

You elk hunt much?

Have. But don't get the opportunity much now. There is a gen tag herd local and close, but the [bleep] ass landowners treat them as if they are a private game herd, and there's just too much drama to bother with pursuing them heavily. Other than that it's either a draw for other close herds, or a pretty fair drive for a general tag herd anywhere else in the state. Worth it? Yes. But I've been lazy here the last couple years. With the boy getting tags next year my laziness is over. I will be trying to get him a bull and buck every year I can.

MAGA