Serious question for you .223 Std/AI nuts...if that's allowed on this thread!
When you guys get in tonight I need some info.

What velocities are you getting with heavies (75 gr+) in your .223's either standard or AI'd and what tube length.

As per my earlier post, I am already at book max loads for TAC and Varget but at considerably greater COAL [nearly a quarter inch!] with NO pressure signs--not even slight. I am going up incrementally to look for signs.

Here's the thing--Hodgdon lists 25.0 gr of Varget giving 2900 fps behind a 75 JLK VLD (no barrel length given) and TAC lists 24.1 gr at 2820 fps and 25.8 gr at 2994 fps (!) [albeit, at 61,240 psi] both from 24" tubes.

As mentioned, my chrono is on the fritz so I can't test velos but if my COAL allows me to push 2900+ (maybe even 3000) fps with the std .223 and 75 grainers is it even worth the bother of AI'ing (side from the reduced brass stretch which given how cheap .223 brass is must be compared with the cost of the chamber ream and new dies).

Still worth it to AI? What say you guys?

Oh, and while your composing your answers please feel free to GFY!

Memeber of the cult of Ingwe and Flave--Flagwe.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...