Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by SSB
BD, what you describe here ain't all that far off the JDJ line of cartridges based on the .444 marlin case. Have some experience with those as we gun contenders up here some. A hunting pard has taken his to Africa a couple of times now....last time he took this....

[Linked Image]

Used the .375 version and knocked him dowmn with a should shot with a 260gr nosler solid. Required one to the brain for a finisher. The .30 cal version of these really screams...

Nice doin's that.

Ya see, that's what I'm getting at. The .444 has been bent, shortened, stomped and twisted just about every which way from Hell. Ain't opposed to that, just baffled the .45-70 never got the same treatment. Just about every other basic case in the world gets mangled, but the -70 seems immune.

Was talking to a fella the other day that was planning to do something outside the box with a High Wall. 6.5x7 Mauser Rimmed as I recalled. I asked him what performance he was looking for and I don't think he can get 2800 fps with a 140 grain bullet at his specified 40K MAP. Asked if he had considered the .45-70 case? He might still be having wet dreams, didn't inquire on that, but he was excited.

I agree...the 45/70 case should be a natural for the same operation....unique too. Should I start working on dies?

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....