I've been thinking about the old barber shop I used to go to when I was a kid. Man that was a great place to hang out. It had the old fashioned barber chairs, brass spitoons, and lots of dead critters hanging on the wall.

I learned a lot in that place; how to sharpen a knife, how to tie fishing knots, how to roll a cigarette, and several new (to me) swear words. I even learned a little about female anatomy from the stack of nudy books that were hidden behind the counter.

A few times, I would go with my dad when he would need a haircut, but for the most part, it was my mom that took me to get a haircut.

I remember that she would drop me off at the door with two one dollar bills for the haircut, and a nickle for the gumball machine and go do her shopping. She would come back about a half an hour later and knock on the door for me to come out when she was ready to go.

In all those years my mom never set a foot inside that barbershop. In fact, I don't ever remember any woman ever coming into the barbershop during business hours, not even the barbers' wives.

People had funny ways back in the olden times....

ego operor non tutela