Never claimed to be a blade expert, but I like steel with some belly for skinnin', much like Elmer's new tool. They aren't high on my list for other fine work, but that contour works for gettin' the hide off. Don't think it matters much if it has a thick spine for that job. The steel I use for the other work is a Boker of German build, a folder with a soft belly, sharp point profile and about 2.25" of edge. Slice and dice, chop chop.

Had a couple of Randys over the years, gifts from well meaning folks who never used a knife seriously in their lives. Big things with 6-7" blades. Never used them, not once. They are superbly built and given a more useful size and style they would still be with me. Closer to diving knives, whatever the phouc that is.

One knife rides in the console of my truck with a thick spine, a Cold Steel Tanto, laminated steel with something around a 6-7" blade. Phoucin' thing is mirror bright on the edge after riding an 8000 grit waterstone. Gillette wishes they had edges like that beast. Will work well if ever there is a need to slice a free hanging rope, or stick it somebody's brain.

BD

PS: I agree with Poobah, too much of a good thing ain't necessarily a good thing. No offense intended to Jorge.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain