Certified crazy as they [bleep] come.. This is a Ringman level of insanity.

Originally Posted by Seafire
Ethan, have to laugh.. back then there was still a distrust of people from down in No Carolina by those in VA and WVA, that dates back to the Civil War.... my roots run VERY Strong down thru there...I was born in Bluefield....and have family peppered all over SW VA and So. WVA... dating WAAAAY BACK to the first folks who settled there...

the distrust for folks from NO Carolina date back to the Civil War when VA was the battleground for the Confederacy. When supplies were dramatically needed in VA, No Carolina stockpiled supplies for their soldiers and wouldn't share them with VA or any other units from other states...

few people know and the history books any more don't mention it, but VA tried to abolish slavery in 1808...the resistance was slaver owners predominantly in the SE part of the state...so the state of VA started to buy the slaves freedom from their plantation owners...

however, plantation owners and usually relatives of plantation owners in VA, worked out a scheme, where a slave would be purchased by the State in VA, but would be kidnapped and 'sold' to a plantation in NC where he was still legally considered a slave... and was exchanged for a non freed slave in NC...

the little scheme just about bankrupted the State of VA and made a lot of money for NC...even up thru the 1970s, stuff like that was not forgotten...

I grew up not trusting anyone from NC, or Maryland for that matter... I was taught to not trust them....still to this day, I'll trust a guy from SC ten times more than a guy from NC....

as stupid as that may sound... but that was how I was raised..

and those feelings were particularly strong in SW VA and S. WVA
when I was growing up...

by the way, I am 17th generation Virginian.. and to this day, my loyalties lie with Virginia first, the South second, the USA third... Scotland and Ireland 4th and anything that has to do with the British Commonwealth elsewhere 5th.

when the old saying is "its in the blood" they aren't kidding...

even when I see someone of obvious Celtic descent, I feel a kindredness that goes beyond them just being a fellow American..

when I lived in England as a kid, when my dad was stationed over there... we went to Scotland, multiple times... but standing on a highland ridge, at even 12 years old... it was hard to describe the feeling of 'being home' that I had...

feel the exact same way when I am back in the south, or even when in Canada... I'm back around Scottish and Irish blood..

the bagpipes give me a feeling of patriotism, the same way when I hear any song of the Confederacy played... even moreso that when I hear the Star Spangled Banner...or our National Anthem...

from where I am from, those feelings aren't that uncommon...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...