Originally Posted by fatjack34
BD...why is it that more than a couple hog outfits strongly advise a .30 caliber and up for piggy hunting? Are they skeered? Or more nervous that the average Klondike that hunts with them has no clue how to get it done with a 224 caliber projectile?

Operative word there is "outfits". Build the legend, raise the price.

Pigs die easier than deer. Their anatomy moves the vital zone (boiler room) forward and it might be that some shoot them a bit far back. Do that and it doesn't matter a lot what they get shot with, they will run.

The difference in boiler room theory and what I do goes mostly to the shooter's perception of what will result if bullet "A" is put in anatomy component "B". I know for a fact a .22 will not stop a pig with a cardiopulmonary shot so I don't do it. CF shooters think a boiler room shot will stop them, and they will IF it is put in the boiler room.

The other side of the coin is their anatomy limits range of motion for the head and neck as compared to deer. Much more better if one if inclined to plink the brain bucket.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain