Those pictures are jokes...literally, figuratively. Even then crew chiefs and pilots had a sense of humor.

There were some systems developed by Hughes Tool which were tested but never adopted by the Army. They included a single 7 tube pod (XM157) for the 2.75" FFAR (might not arm due to short engagement ranges), a Ma Deuce under the belly and my personal favorite, a belly mounted flame thrower. Coulda got some mileage out of that one. laugh

There was a minigun system used commonly by Scouts but it was a fixed mount on the left side capable of elevation transit only. Dance on the pedals for windage and running targets.

I used them sparingly until later in the fracas when we dispensed with the observer in the left seat and went with Mini and gunner in the back. It was a weight thing mostly. If it were real, which it isn't, the bird in the bottom pic would never get off the ground. Each of the rocket pods, loaded, would weigh between 500 and 700 pounds and the 40mm chunker turret on the nose with ammo would weigh about the same. Also, there was no structure on the nose of the aircraft which could support anything like that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain