Not to contradict, but I had the misfortune of living in Cleveland in the late 50s/early 60s. At that time you couldn't swim in Lake Erie, it was so polluted and the Cuyahoga River caught fire, it was so full of stuff�
I was a wee child then, and have been quite interested and pleased with the turn around made in those waters since then.
The river catching fire was a turning point for many aspects of an environmental movement at the time. That and all the factories spewing smoke and crap had an effect on me when I was 6 years old that hasn't left me yet. I'll never forget rolling into Cleveland that first time, looking out the car window at all that what would later be termed 'pollution'.Even at 6 I knew something was seriously wrong with that. I knew I had to get out of there, and away from it. The feeling never left, to this day, and it landed me in Montana as soon as I could get here after college.
For the last forty years now if I go fishing and see anyone else out there, it pisses me off grin I am spoiled wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe