Originally Posted by Canazes9
Geedub,

Tell me about the Vais. Does it work as advertised? Little to zero additional noise to the shooter?

Thanks,

David

Here is a link to the Vais Website. http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/Default.aspx

At the moment, I have only three rifles with brakes. All three are Vais.

I'd like to say that I was a "Brake" afficianado and knew everything about them, but then I'd be shining you on.

[Linked Image]

I have the brakes on a 7 STW and a 338 RUM, both in the Sendero flavor and the 223 AI. I got the 7STW years ago used, cheap it came with the brake. I liked it and when I had my Sendero accurized at Hill Country Rifle I had them install the brake.

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but with the brake installed the 338 RUMs much more pleasant to shoot. The Vais brakes do provide a good deal of recoil reduction I'd say my 338 Rum kicks like my 270 Win using 200 to 225 gr. bullets The 7 STW even less.

Most of the time I'm shooting these braked rifles is at the bench. Due to the fact that it seems I'm always next to someone that has a braked 338-378 and the shock wave almost knocks me into next week, I've taken to wearing ear plugs plus ear muffs when shooting at club I'm a member of. Conseqently that, plus being behind the muzzle lessens my perception of the shock wave/noise.
I'm a low volume shooter and when afield, I usually fire one or two rounds at most during a hunt. Being the excitable type I am, I never notice the noise then. I'm sorry I could not give you a more definitive answer.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.