Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by fatjack34
BD...

My buddies Dad was a lifer in the US Army...Major at the time of his death...he was piloting an OV-1 MOHAWK from Germany back to Italy where he was based and just about ready to retire I believe...on a milk run. Not so much...crashed on the ride home...what do you know about these odd looking birds and are they difficult to fly or have any nefarious reputation?

The Man was a decorated pilot having served in Korea and Vietnam...he gave up his seat in fall of 1967 I believe....

[Linked Image]

The Mohawk was exclusive to the Army, Air Force never owned one. They were used in Nam for ELINT (Electronic Intel) and SLAR (Side Looking Airborne Radar) intelligence gathering almost exclusively. High performance bird and it tended to fly in a hazardous part of the sky on the SLAR missions. I think basically they were pretty reliable, but at the same time completely unforgiving. Only Army bird I'm aware of with an ejection seat.

BD

Our National Guard unit had done summer camps at Ft. Hood in 1989 and 1990. We took over the MEDEVAC mission from the 507th for 2 weeks both years. The 507th worked out of Robert Gray Army Airfield and their hangers were about 150 yards from the MI unit that flew Mohawks out of Robert Gray. Unfortunately, I don't believe I ever got any pictures of the Mohawks.

As luck would have it, our MEDEVAC unit covered Ft. Hood during Desert Shield/Storm and I was at Ft. Hood for most of Desert Shield/Storm. I don't recall the Units nomenclature but when I got to Ft. Hood in December of 1990 the Mohawks and the unit were over seas. Their hangers were empty until about May when they all came back. The down side is while the unit was gone, the Congress and the Army decided they were no longer needed and upon their arrival back home started the de-commissioning process. I assume the Mohawks ended up rotting in the desert at Monthan Davis.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.