Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Poobah,Dan,in my defense I have to learn the hard way,remember that I is a Rebel on the GTE! smile

Seafire my chrono gave me a bum wrap on that load,but from the velocity of the next one I'm going to say 2550ish and the group size was under 1 inch at 100 yds. This weekend I'll shoot it again and have better info.

GM on the GTE!!

I was looking that up in one or two of my load manuals..

I was wondering in a modern rifle, if that could be improved upon with the pressure according to the load manual is only about 44 to 45,000 CUP.

I found in a 30/06, using H 4831 SC, one could actually up the velocity potential a good bit with 180 to 200 and 220 gr bullets...

I run 3031 out of an older Hornady Manual, and they claim I should get 2450 fps, but my 3 rifles are exceeding that by a good bit, and it is the most accurate powder in both of the Rugers...with 175 grain SP and RN Hornadys...
Seafire I'm using a CZ 550 American with a 24" barrel that was bought in mid-late January.
[Linked Image]
Also seating the 175 Rem's out to 3.330" in this rifle. You will not find the load I'm using in ANY MANUAL,because it is over their max of 45K CUP.

I can relate.. the best one I found for these long throated Rugers was of 3031 out of an older Hornady Manual... it runs a 175 RN out at 2650 fps out of a 22 inch barrel... I am sure it is overload for the 45,000 CUP pressures also..

But Remington Brass doesn't seem to really mind, nor does the Ruger, or my Model 70....

by the way, that CZ 550 is definitely a nice rig.. have to admit, if one in 7mm Mauser had ever crossed my path, it would probably be in my gun safe... especially one of those Mannlicher stocked ones...

Sea, when you get the chance it may be in your interest to view a Brno Mod 22 or ZG47...why settle for skim mik when cream is only a little bit more expensive.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.