Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Someone woke up blackfart.

Seeing as he was hitting the bait pretty much everyday I had plenty of shots on him. Yes I did misjudge him as he was a very leggy bear. I had a tag and it was very much in season. Would I have killed him now knowing what he went? Yes. Do I feel bad for letting him walk? Not at all. The guy that took him was very proud of that bear. He also has about 6 other bears he has killed that have been bigger. His smallest bear went 300lb. Honestly I get more out of helping my buddies take bears then I do taking them myself. I maintain 10 to 15 bait sites a year, I don't allow anyone to hunt them that is going to shoot an immature bear. Maine has a large bear population and they get hunted hard in some areas. Most guides will allow a hunter to kill pretty much anything. Its a shame but its their outfit and their clients and the state of Maine has yet to impose any ristrictions. Thats why the average bear killed in Maine is in the 150-200lb class. However there are many very big bears in the state. Another thing with guides there is that they don't waste time and energy getting a noctural bear to come in during day light. Big bears don't get big by being stupid.

Must be tough to kill bears over bait, I'm impressed.