Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Man I never heard of that....I live in New England where Unions are big and still never heard of it. I know pall bearers in NYC were unionized.

I stand to be corrected, but he had an independent streak and was very proud of the fact that he was a "non union barber". Course the old man may have been shinin' me on. He loved to tell "tall tales".
I was about six when he told me about "smartem pills." Being somewhat precocious, I wanted to know about smartem pills. IIRC there were a couple old geezers there that just kinda smiled. He then proceeded to tell the story about the ol feller that was at his local hang out complaining about his lack of memory or something like that. Well the proprietor pulls out a matchbox with three or four "pills", shakes out a couple and hands them to the fellow that wanted to "smarten up". The guy pops them in his mouth and chaws a couple chomps, and spits the pills out and sez, man that tastes like rabbit [bleep]. The proprietor sez, "see, you're getting smarter already". At that age I thought that was pretty funny.

GWB

See, you can learn all kinds of interesting stuff in estrogen-free environments like old timey barbershops. I really feel sorry for those that missed out on a barbershop education.

Bill and Fred weren't just my barbers, they were my mentors in hunting and fishing, particularly turkey hunting (you might be suprised at how many the famous TV turkey hunters were barbers). Learned how to run a call there, and more importantly, when not to run a call.

Bill and Fred were also my co-conspirators in a plot to overcome the greatest injustice in my young life: maternal objection to my acquiring of a BB gun.

Even though I had managed to reach the advanced age of six, I was still unarmed, a totally unacceptable condition as far as I was concerned. Luckily for me, Bill and Fred concurred and started to champion my cause.

They helped me develop a series of logical arguments to chip away at my mother's opposition, and never failed in lobbying my dad vociferously on those rare occasions when he and I were in the shop together. I am pretty sure I would never gotten a BB gun before age ten if it had not been for their advocacy. Maternal opposition had whithered by my seventh birthday and I was finally a rifleman.

Thanks Bill and Fred, wherever you are, I'll never forget you. By the way, my mom will never forget you either. She says she is reminded of you two every time she sees that big chip in the picture window in her front room.....

ego operor non tutela