The Stutzen Mannlicher is 7mm-08. I wanted a 7 x 57, but no such luck. It took a couple years to find the one I bought, so when it became available I didn't hesitate. Looking at a twin of the stalking rifle in 30R Blaser. Counting my pennies and nickels.

The Stutzen is wearing a Diavari 3 x 9.

The scope that came on the stalking rifle is a 1.8 x 5.5 Conquest.

Both rifles have the 1" Recknagel twist-mounts. Twist the scope off, break down the rifle. Put it back together and the scope returns to zero. I've tried it at least a half dozen times on the Stutzen.

I was helping a friend check zero on a rifle he was taking to Africa yesterday afternoon and took the opportunity to shoot it a couple times.

The guy I got it from had bought it for a Moose hunt. Mounted the scope and developed the loads below.

[Linked Image]

I got the rifle with 100 rounds of loaded ammo, being 286 gr. Partitions, two boxes of partitions and a box of Speer 270 grainers, plus a Forester full length die set. I had not shot it previously.
Since I had 100 of the 62.5 gr. IMR 4831 loads (middle target), I didn't see much reason to do load develpment at this time.

I shoot 3 and five shot groups when I am doing load development. I always shoot over a chrony. I can then take a look at the accuracy/velocity relationship and decide which load/bullet/powder/density combo I want to pursue.

Other than that, I'm much more interested in where the first shot out of a cold barrel (POI) will impact vs. the (POA) point of aim.

[Linked Image]

These two shots were fired about 10 minutes apart. I will go back in the next couple days, put this target up at the same distance dis-assemble and re-assemble the rifle and and fire a couple more rounds to check zero.

According to the Nosler Manual, the .366 dia., 286 Gr. Partition has a BC. of .482. The tables state that with that BC and a MV of 2,200 fps, with a 200 yd. zero a bullet should be 3.3" high at 100 yds. I probably will not shoot at anything further than that with this rifle. I will shoot a couple rounds at 200 yds. before I change elevation or windage, just to be sure.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.