Sometimes the optics forum reminds me of the freakshow..

Dialing for drop is retard easy IF you know both the range and you load's performance BUT with a FFP mil dot scope knowing the load and range (FFP mil dot scopes facilitate that) twirling dials is total unnecessary. Dialing takes time. Anything that delays the shot is your enemy. AS for wind hold off, it is far from easy unless you spend all your time hunting in dense timber. Any real expert on long range shooting will tell you that the wind here, a'int the wind along the way to the targets.
Anyone who has actually done a lot of long range shooting, on any the several sites devoted to it will tell you that a set of wind flags every 100 yards from 100 to 1000 yards will show you just how incorrect you are.

Illumination on a quality scope is not "a button" it is adjustable for conditions.

As for AO, most non AO scopes are preset for 75-150 yards. It's gonna be off enough to miss at 300 or more. You might note that virtual all scopes designed to shoot at extended ranges have AOs �� wonder why.

You probably don't know that even ancient scopes like El Paso Weavers and Unertl Small Game scopes could be adjusted for parallax. My El Paso Weaver K6 came set up from the factory for 100 yards. With a set of V blocks, a grid target and about 15 minutes it is now set up for 300.

In any case, I'm glad you are not in charge of buying scopes for our military snipers. If you ever get a chance to get behind a Schmidt FFP mil dot scope you just might realize you are not the expert you seem to think you are.

Hope the OP has bothered to go to some of the sites populated by folks who know about what makes a quality scope and an accomplished shooter.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...