Originally Posted by 7mmMato
And Dave drive a Ford so you can get back home.

There just so happens to be a certain gleaming black 1977 F250 F250 4x4 just sitting around all sad and stuff, right here in the yard at home. Maybe Joey and I will have to take that ford out to camp.

A report on the chevy though, while I'm at it.

Maybe a full disclosure, lol.

I needed a truck, I knew what I wanted in a truck... and I ended up with a chevy instead. lol!

No seriously though. My criteria was 3/4 or 1 ton, at least an extended cab, possibly a crew. And I wanted to fins private owner truck with a V blade snow plow already rigged to it. Private owner, private use, not a commercial plow rig.

I wanted a super duty, but I really didn't want a diesel. Gas choices were V10 or 5.4
I was fine with either one of those choices but the trucks seemed a bit rare, I wasn't finding any. Every one I did find was above my price range or totally beat up and clapped out.

So, I expanded my search to include GM 2500 HD trucks. I had learned that the HD trucks had heavier frames that the non HD versions, springs and other components as well such as a full floating rear axle.

We found one in our price range, 2003 2500HD crew, nice interior, paint delamination and some rust issues on the body. It was a one owner truck with a Boss V plow that came with the truck. I drove it it worked out ok in a little city driving test drive.

Check engine light started flashing the moment I handed the guy his cash.

So far I've done iridium spark plugs, AC delco wires, a new electronic accelerator pedal, new throttle body, cleaned injectors, ultimately a crank shaft variance relearn scan is what cured the flashing check engine light. The throttle body and fancy gas pedal was also necessary because the truck was having problems where it would just shut down while at cruise speed, "reduced power mode" because the throttle body and gas pedal were confused, worn out or what ever.

I also installed a pair of timken brand front wheel bearing/hub assemblies. One had noticeable play in it and the other was questionable. Yesterday Nathan and I installed new drivers door hinge bushings so the door now shuts nice.

Next up will probably be an attempt at extracting the many broken exhaust manifold bolts that are stuck in the aluminum cylinder heads. (cold engine exhaust leaks, drives me nuts.)

The truck is behaving itself just fine now, no check engine light and it runs out and drives real nice. If I start to trust the truck a little more I may fix the body and paint and keep it for a while.

Something clever here.