"Why don't they sing?"

hmmm....good question. I'll give my best guess based on what I have witnessed with coyotes while bowhunting out west and around home. Coyotes are a pack animal but in the country and wide open spaces they will split up in groups of one or two when they are hunting. When its time to regroup like at dawn for example, the alpha yote will sing and the rest will open up and let the others know where they are at. Sometimes it sounds like they are a mile or more apart and in all directions. This goes on until they all re-group and then the whole pack will open up together. Same as at night when they re-group after bedding (or whatever they do) for the day. In late january and february they break up into breeding pairs.

So on to my GUESS:
Maybe in the 'burbs' they are close enough to humans that they have lost this natural instinct due to becoming more like scavengers or since they are so dang smart maybe they just don't want to give away their position being that close to humans.

Like I said, just a guess.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...