I haven't been on this thread in a while, but the weather has me thinking deer season, so I thought I'd read a bit on here.

GG, glad to hear you're feeling well after going under the knife.

I'm playing "beat the clock" the last couple weeks, trying to get myself and my son ready for our youth hunting season this coming weekend. He's been shooting my compact .223 and doing pretty well. He's loading the box magazine and operating the bolt and safety like a pro.

Got 50 cases sized, trimmed and primed and ready to be charged. Got 3 different bullets I'm going to try - 64 gr Winchester Power Points, 63 gr. Sierra and 60 gr Nosler partition. Being that this is going to be a short range hunt with a first time youngster, accuracy isn't critical. I'm going to load up a few of each bullet over the same powder charge and see which, if any, makes a cluster. Fingers crossed that this approach goes well, 'cause I don't have time for any other approach right now.

I've gotta admit that it's pretty darned cool looking forward to opening day on behalf or someone else. I saw a very nice 8 pointer a couple times earlier this summer. Nice, tall rack with about 20"+ spread. It'd be awesome to see him bag something like that.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile