I'm not much for maudlin anniversarys, but it's been 10 years to the day I lost my brother in a traffic accident. He was about the same age as Waylon, born 8/71.

He spent some time in the Army during the Gulf War coming out an SF guy from 5th Group. Went to college on the GI bill and became a field biologist.

He loved anything outdoors, but he really liked duck and deer camp. He hunted with me as soon as he was old enough. The only time we missed an opener together was when he was over there in Uncle Sam's employ. He would only hunt with Grandpa's old Marlin 336C, that was, yes, a 30-30. His time in SF made him deadly accurate with it. He always told me I had too much schit on my belt; knife, ammo, light, gps, etc. so much, that it became a deer camp joke. I travel lighter these days. For duck season, the first round out of my gun for the season is one of his old shells. I have enough to do it until I'm 83.

It was here, this thread, that I came for quiet healing. Good people here. I am so very grateful for Dave starting this. It got me through some tough times.

So I ask that you may join me to raise a glass tonight; (cheap stuff - my brother was a blackberry brandy or Busch guy) to my brother, my hunting pard, and my friend, Corey. Thanks.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin