Well it has been awhile since I have been on and I just got caught up! Seems like there is a deer season coming up, eh? 2 posts of note: Nice buck Nate and Tom that was an epic post on tips for sitting in a blind! Well done.

My fall has been one for the ages. A fall of firsts. I will try and keep it short.....

1. Youth Outdoor Activity Day in late August drew 2,180 kids. the most ever. No issues whatsoever.

2. Archery Elk hunting in SW Montana in mid-Sept. Or I should say December. We survived 2 dumpings of snow and for the week it totaled about 20 inches or more. The grizzlies were extremely active prior to our trip including a mauling less than a mile from where we were hunting most of the week. But we went 2 for 4. I shot a bull and two of my buddies shot a bull. nothing huge, but any elk with bow is a trophy in my book.

3. now the firsts start. Brought one of my sons out for Youth Waterfowl Opener. His first time hunting ever at 9 years old. After the first 10 shots (none of which even scared a duck) he turns to me with the quote of the year, "Dad! This is SOOOO FUN!" Lo and behold, about 5 shots later, a duck falls from the sky. My son looked like a bobblehead on steriods he was so excited. My yellow lab makes her first duck retrieve in the water. He is so proud of his first duck (a green winged teal).

4. Same son shoots his first goose this year field hunting. And it is banded. What are the odds of that?

5. Apparently not as rare as you think. My other son shoots his first goose. No band. But his second goose? Banded. I have never shot a banded goose. I am not bringing a gun with this year so I can concentrate on helping the boys.

6. Youth Pheasant Day in ND results in my daughter shooting her first rooster. Lots of smiles.

7. Oh no, we aren't done with firsts yet. The daughter and I went out antelope hunting. She is 13 and I only control her life for a few more years so I just decided to do it. Never hunted them myself, didn't have a place, just made it happen. She shot a young buck on Day 1! Antelope on public land were extremely hard to come by so she decided to fill her tag right away. I waited and ended up with a 72 2/8 beautiful buck with deep curls.

Deer hunting excitement is filling the air here too. Nice to catch up and I hope everyone has a fun, safe deer season. Remember to be extra careful climbing into those stands!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.