We have been doing a lot of food plots for a while at our place. here is what I think you should consider planting:

1. Rape
2. Rye
3. Turnips
4. Clover

I have had no luck with the deer liking pumpkins. They just walk right by them. Maybe my deer are pumpkin snobs, I dunno, but we havent had much luck with them. I will say that these are the ones we through out after Halloween. They sit there for a lonnnnng time. But rape now, that stuff is a magnet. Unbelievable how they love that stuff. And the great part of it, and this applies to you because you only have small areas to plant, is that they dont really bother it much until after freeze up. That way, it is still there at deer hunting. That is a real problem with small food plots. The deer eat them completely by Oct 1 and you are out of luck.

Oh, and you can hunt over, in, under, through and alongside a foot plot. Bait? No. Food plot? Yes. Just dont pick whatever it is you grow, that turns it into bait.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.