I'm adding another rifle to the deer hunting rifles I own.Several months ago I purchased a Stevens model 325 at a gun show.The model 325 is a light weight bolt action magazine fed in 30-30.This is the second one of these I have found this year after a four year search.And incidentally I bought both of them.The last one I bought was really pretty.Like new.Both of them are very very accurate but being a late 1940's manufacture they are not drilled and tapped for a scope.I did my research and found the mount I wanted,ordered it and when it arrived I took scope and the newest best condition rifle to my gunsmith to get it drilled and tapped.Having no receiver rear bridge,you are forced to use a side mount which also allows you to see the iron sights with the scope mounted.
I had a nice 3X9X40 Cabela's Redhead scope which I mounted and yesterday I went to the gun range.
A bolt action 30-30 allows you to use 30 caliber pointed bullets unlike a lever action in which you have to use flat point bullets.Add to that you have a great variety of bullet weights from which to choose.Heck I could load a 225 grain bullet if I wanted provided I do not exceed certain chamber pressures.
A friend of mine who has the same model rifle had given me the load info for some 110 grain bullets with which his son has already killed two very large bucks this year.This little bullet is really zipping along at about 2700FPS.I had already ordered some of the bullets and gotten them loaded.
It only took me about eight shots after bore sighting to get the scope zeroed the way I wanted it.I them proceeded to absolutely eat the very center out of the 8" shoot'n see target.I have had very few rifles in my life that shoot as consistent a point of impact as this rifle does.I'm very happy with the final results.
So now I have two bolt 30-30's.One has irons and one wears glasses.Both are really good shooters.

Stan in SC

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 12/06/12.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.