Originally Posted by tzone
I like the idea of the option of a scope. I'm not sure if I'll do it though. I may...but I LOVE the way my BP carries with the open sights. I do have horrible vision though. But I'm capable of laying in 5 shots into a 3" circle at 75 yards the way it sits. Is that something to brag about? Absolutely not, but I've only shot 2 deer further than that.

On the other hand. Last year, during BP season, I had a chance at a doe about 100 yards away and I wasn't comfortable with that shot. With a scope, I'd have been able to see an opening I'm sure and made the shot. I will also say, up to that point, I'd never even seen a deer while BP hunting, so that wasn't easy to lay off. grin

Almost all of my BP deer have been within 30 yards. I've seen a lot out at 90-100ish that I didn't have good shots at, but might have with a scope. The irons cover too much at that distance for me to feel good about shots at living animals through small windows of opportunity. My buck last rifle season was probably 50 yards, but I had to shoot when it walked between two trees. I wasn't going to get another shot other than through thick stuff, and I never would have been able to see everything well enough to time it with the irons on my BP rifles.

As I get older, the scope greatly increases my "comfort zone" for a shot.