Dave,

I wouldn't fret that clear cut. We had one on the state land near our camp on the Range. It was totally cut in a big "L" shape. It is 80 acres long and 20 wide on the short piece of the L and at least 120 long on the long side by 20 acres wide.

It grew up in all pines. In about 5 years they were about waist high, and a few years later, about shoulder hight. The deer are in there thick as thieves, with trails every where in there.

My stand has been near it since the 01 season and has produced more deer sighting by probably a 3 to 1 margin. I can't see more than 50 yds in to the cut anymore, but the deer still come out of there like crazy at times. I don't know what they are eating in there because all the trees are pines but they're eating somthing. They deffenatly bed in there, and my stand is at a creek crossing about 100 yds off the cut. So they don't have to go very far for anything but a little lovin'. There is not a ton of buck sign at the crossing, but they cruise it for the ladies.

I would find a few stand sites on that cut and have at it. It may take a few years for the numbers of deer to show up, but they will. The good part is, is usually when the cut grows up, the people tend to leave it alone because they can't see across it anymore.

Sorry I went on and on, but I like those cuts too. The last 6-8 years they have gotten me a fair share of deer.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.