My living room is littered with packs, sleeping bags, cook stoves, lanterns, dried foods... Tonight the packing begins for our big trip.

This will be a short work week, we leave Wed for Duluth where we will meet up with "The boy" & his sister "the girl" There we will strap down the canoes, get a good night's rest & head for our drop point the next morning.

We have the youngest sister with us already. She rode back home with us & will be staying with us this week.

This past weekend was good. A year's time has passed since we lost the kid's dad. I think most of us are doing our best to use this time of year to reflect & measure our progress forward from the time of his death as that is what he would want for us all to do. We remembered him fondly as we do always, but it was more so than usual this last weekend. The day before he died was his wedding anniversary, as you could imagine that is a difficult day for his wife to get through.

But we all got through the weekend just fine. His kids have got to be making him proud as they are all continuing to grow in the right directions, such responsible, thoughtful, polite kids. All so very talented.

It's definitely our privilege that they accompany us on this canoe trip with such enthusiasm.

Rooster7 Jim & his wife surprised us with a wonderful gift for our hunting cabin. Apparently Rooster Jim has a good friend over on archerytalk forums that is quite gifted with the wood carving. Jim had his friend cut the likeness of the "wood spirit" into a large black walnut half log. The Story of the wood spirit is very neat, the carving itself is fantastic & we can't wait to get it out to the cabin. I will post more about the wood spirit & put up a picture of the carving when I get a chance, it's very cool. Big thanks out to Jim & Mrs. Jim smile & also to Jim's buddy from archerytalk for the fantastic work on our wood spirit. We will be honored to have him looking after our cabin & all of the cabin's visitors for as long as the cabin stands.

I have a lot of work too do before I leave for the week so I better get cracking.

Dave

Something clever here.