I don't load any pointed 45/70's.My main loading is 300 grain Remington Jacketed hollow points.I do have some 350 grain round nose jacketed soft points that are very accurate.My buddy in Oklahome City who does bullet casting sent me some varied cast bullets all the way up to 465 grain.I have loaded and shot some of them.I don't load them "HOT".They are more accurate at milder loadings,not to mention easier on the shoulder.I have a box of the Hornady "Leverrevolution" 325 grain ballistic tips and have shot several of them.I am not impressed.My loads are better suited for me.Two or three years ago I surprised a coyote while I was deer hunting.He kinda tried to trot on past me.The 45/70 caught him in the shoulder and spun him around.Bang,flop!
45-70 is a great deer round because it just goes right thru and doesn't blood shoot any meat.The old axiom about "you can eat right up to the bullet hole on a 45-70"is true.
The 45-70 was the first metallic rifle cartridge ever accepted by the US Army.General Custer's troops were armed with 45-70 rifles at the battle of Greasy Grass hill,better known as "Custer's Last Stand" on that fateful day of June 25,1876.
The original "Gatling" guns were chambered in 45-70.
Several interesting tidbits for you.
I'm traveling to Atlanta,Georgia tomorrow(130 miles) for a luncheon of all of the retirees of the company I used to work for.It'll be good to see all of them.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.