Some folks just hate making the long drive to lake of the woods with an auger extension....

A little explanation for the non northern climate folks.

These are web photos, not mine.

This is a gasoline engine powered ice auger

[Linked Image]

this is how you use it

[Linked Image]

It's a big gas powered drill for boring holes through the ice on frozen lakes so You can fish through the hole.

There are many engine types and sizes, 2 stroke gas engines of varying horse power, liquid propane powered and electric powered.

There are many sizes you can choose from for the drill itself, everything from 4" on up to 10" usually being the largest hole diameter.

These are auger extensions.

[Linked Image]

Late in the winter the ice can actually get so thick that your stock ice auger bit cannot drill all the way through the ice, so you have to put an extension on the auger shaft to drill through the really thick ice.

White bear and I get the biggest kick out of the ever popular winter fishing question "should I bring an auger extension?"

Lake of the woods MN is a border lake the US shares with Canada. That being said it is obviously a cold climate lake and the ice does get very thick.

We post on another forum specifically dealing with Lake of the woods and we always laugh about the most popular question "will I need to bring an extension?"

These are people that are driving 6 or more hours to fish lake of the woods and they want to know if it's worth bringing this little 10" long piece of pipe to be certain they can reach through the ice with the auger.

grin

Something clever here.